First Sunday in Lent
In the Garden man exalts himself to be a god in place of God. (Gen 3:1-21) He succumbs to the temptation of the devil, and eating of the forbidden fruit he receives death. But in the sin-cursed wilderness God humbles Himself to become man in place of man. (Mt 4:1-11) He does not eat but fasts and bears the onslaughts of the devil for us that we may be restored to life. Jesus stands as David in our place to do battle against the Goliath Satan. (I Samuel 17:40-51) Though outwardly Jesus appears weak, yet He comes in the name of the Lord of hosts. He draws from the five smooth stones of the books of Moses and slings the Word of God. The stone sinks into the forehead, and the enemy falls. In Christ we are victorious over the devil. Let us therefore not receive the grace of God in vain (2 Cor 6:1-10), but seeing that we have a great High Priest, let us come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain help in time of need (Heb 4:14-16).
* Psalm 32 (ESV)
* Genesis 3:1-21 (ESV)
* 2 Corinthians 6:1-10 (ESV)
* St. Matthew 4:1-11 (ESV)
Hymn of the Day
* LSB 849 "Praise the One Who Breaks the Darkness"
* LSB 418 "O Lord, Throughout These Forty Days"
* LSB 716 "I Walk in Danger All the Way"
* LSB 656 "A Mighty Fortress is our God"
* LSB 618 "I Come, O Savior, to Thy Table"
* LSB 919 "Abide, O Dearest Jesus"