Having witnessed a glimpse of the glory of our Transfigured Lord, and having transitioned through Pre-Lent, the church enters into the forty day period of Lent and commemorates the suffering and death of Jesus Christ. The season of Lent, which begins tonight, intensifies as we draw closer to Holy Week and the climax of Good Friday. As we recall the depth of Christ's agony on the cross, we are compelled to remember that our sins brought all this upon Him. So, we search our souls and humble our hearts. The color violet, or purple, signifies this penitent mood.
* Psalm 51 (ESV)
* Joel 2:12-19 (ESV)
* 2 Peter 1:2-11 (ESV)
* St. Matthew 6:16-21 (ESV)
Hymn of the Day
* LSB 607 "From Depth's of Woe I Cry to Thee"
* LW 367 "When Over Sin I Sorrow"
* LSB 563 "Jesus, Thy Blood and Righteousness"
* The Ash Wednesday Service is a spoken Low Mass utilizing the Rite for the Imposition of Ashes and the Service of Corporate Confession and Absolution from LSB.