Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Easter Monday

Easter Monday
April 9, 2007
Exodus 15:1-8; Hebrews 9:1-28
“For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. My heart faints within me!” (Job 19:25-27)

In the name of Jesus. Amen.
Even the Old Testament people of God knew the promise of resurrection and life everlasting. Job’s faith clung to the promise of redemption and resurrection, standing in the flesh before the Almighty God.
Sure, the promise of Christ’s birth, death and resurrection were not yet fully revealed. God’s time had not yet fully come. But that does not mean that God was not active or that He did nothing for His people.
Nor did it mean that no one looked to God’s promise of a Savior. Job had hope in the midst of suffering. Even though he lost everything, he rejoiced in the hope of everlasting life in the presence of God. His friends told him to give up, to curse God. Job must have done something to anger God and cause Him to bring about such great suffering on one man.
Today, people will give you similar “wisdom,” even some of the bestsellers on the Christian bookshelves. They say that as a Christian, you have the power to be a success and to live life to the fullest. If you’re not experiencing material blessing in your Christian life, you must have done something wrong or maybe you’re not doing something right.
Tell that to the faithful Christian who loses a dear loved one. Tell that to the faithful Christian struggling to pay bills. Tell that to the faithful Christian who just received word that she has terminal cancer. Tell that to any faithful Christian who suffers in this world. You and I know the truth. We know that we are sinners living in a fallen world. Through God’s Law, we know our sin, which brings death.
But God’s Son, Jesus, brings life beyond the grave. On the Cross, Jesus redeemed not only our souls, but our bodies as well. His resurrection from the dead reveals what God has prepared for you – resurrection and life!
Resurrection is hope in the midst of suffering. Resurrection is hope that clings to God’s promise fulfilled in Christ. Your eyes of faith see Him now, but on the Last Day you will stand with Job and all the faithful, and in the flesh you shall see God face to face. In the name of Jesus. Amen.
“I know that my Redeemer lives; What comfort this sweet sentence gives! He lives, He lives, who once was dead; He lives, my ever-living head.” (LSB #461, verse 1)

No comments: